Westmoreland Association, Inc.
251-31 42nd Avenue, Little Neck, NY 11363 
E-mail: westmoreland@littleneck.net


Home] [About Us] [Bylaws, Etc] [Covenants] [Meetings] [Minutes] [News] [Officers and Directors] [Map] [Public Positions] [FAQ]

Minutes of the General Membership Meeting of the Westmoreland Association
November 19, 2016

Officers Present
President – Walter Mugdan
Vice President - Victor Dadras
Treasurer – Gary Savage
Secretary – Charles Manna

Board Members Present
Bob Timmerman
John Duane
Phil Toscano

Officials Present
Al Silvestri – Deputy Commissioner for the NYC DOT

President Walter Mugdan called the meeting to order at 8:00 P.M. A motion was made, seconded and unanimously adopted to waive reading of the minutes. (Mr. Mugdan noted that the minutes are available for review on the Westmoreland website.)

Gary Savage provided the Treasurer’s Report indicating that the balance-on-hand was $21,262.48 as of November 12, 2016. A motion was made to accept the Treasurer’s report. The motion was seconded and the report was unanimously approved.

Deputy Silvestri discussed the issue of using signage and/or speed humps in the Westmoreland neighborhood.
Speed humps – DOT puts in 250 speed humps per year in Queens. First, however, they need to research the traffic volume and traffic patterns on the streets in question. If there is a need for speed humps, they will install 5” high humps on School blocks and 4” high humps on other blocks. The DOT will conduct a safety study on the streets in question

The DOT will use studies to determine if road markings will influence traffic flow.

Also, the DOT will determine if there are ways to control pedestrian flow.

There are many neighborhoods that are requesting more traffic controls. Many with more dire need due to numerous traffic and pedestrian accidents.

We discussed converting two-way streets to one-way streets. This has been studied in the past. Back then there was little enthusiasm for such change by both the DOT and the local citizens. [Several members of the Westmoreland Association Board of Directors discussed this after the meeting, expressing opposition to this idea.]

The Deputy Commissioner entertained questions from the general membership.
Q. Lane markings on Little Neck Parkway north of Northern Blvd. are missing.
A. It will be corrected.

Q. Anti-Idling campaign – DOT has been removing the signs in an effort to reduce too much signage. Signs have been removed from the streets in front of both the LIRR station and PS 94.
A. No effort will be made to change the policy

Q. Suggestion was made to modify the street markings on Little Neck Parkway going north at the Northern Blvd intersection. The left lane’s arrow is for straight ahead and/or left turn. The right lane is marked right turn only. It causes traffic backups because cars are stalled turning left.
A. A traffic study would have to be conducted to determine if making the right lane the optional straight ahead or right turn lane would improve traffic flow.

Q. Would it be possible to change the meters to permit two-hour parking? Restaurants are hurt by the one-hour limit.
A. Not sure if it would affect traffic flow. Will look into it.

[Note: Several weeks after the November, 2016 meeting Deputy Silvestri provided a written response to each of the issues raised in our Association's written correspondence and during the November meeting. His responses will be shared with the membership during the March, 2017 meeting.]

Old Business

LEAF COLLECTION. The Department of Sanitation will have one final leaf collection on Sunday, December 4, 2016. Paper bags only.

Food and Organic Waste Recycling – Community Board 11 is organizing the delivery of Organic Waste Bins to every household. The bins will be brought to the curb on recycling day.

39th Road – residents are complaining that the volume of LIRR arrival announcements are very loud. Senator Avella will be at the station tomorrow to witness and address the issue.

LIRR Pedestrian Bridge – the completion date is past due.

The Armenian Center – the building is used for catered events. Local residents are complaining that the parties there are getting out-of-hand and are too noisy during the summer months. Evidently, the doors are kept open in the evenings during the events and parties that are held there and are much too noisy.

The House located at 41st and Glenwood – sent a letter to the Westmoreland Homeowners Association stating that they intend to comply with the covenants.

A truck that was parked on Morgan Street and 41st Ave – was finally towed away.

The schedule for the forthcomings meetings is: March 20, 2017 and May 15, 2017.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:30 PM.

Respectfully submitted,
Charles Manna, Secretary

To view meetings schedules click here

Copyright 2002-2015        Designed and hosted by   Digital Brochures Online Corp.        Last modified: 03/15/17     Disclaimer